See why the Merchants Square Model Train Exhibit is one of the most exciting destinations in the Lehigh Valley!
Allentown, PA’s Morning Call newspaper raved about the Merchants Square Model Train Exhibit:
“…the world’s most amazing model train extravaganza. If you think I’m exaggerating, take a look… The main display is more than 78 feet long and 36 feet wide and other displays are only somewhat smaller, with more model trains than I could count and hundreds of intricately detailed and electrified little buildings and other structures… In the middle of its biggest display (is) a 16 by 24 foot lake with real water, and overhead puffy clouds… produce real rain.
“One display has a ski resort in the background with tiny skiers schussing down the slopes (they actually move). A farm is so realistic, one of the outbuildings has a roof that’s collapsing with age.”
In coming years, I’m pretty sure every model train enthusiast will seek inspiration in south Allentown, where magic is also building momentum.”
Merchants Square Model Train Exhibit Features:
Thirty-thousand lights, stars, moon, and illuminated buildings
A huge 24′ x 16′ lake with scale rainfall, thunder, and lightning
40 model trains including:
- 4 underground subways (visible through glass)
- 5 elevated trains
- 4 pantograph electric trains
- Steam and diesel trains
Featured Railroad Logos:
Lehigh Valley, Jersey Central, Reading, Lehigh and New England, New York Central, Pennsylvania Railroad, New Haven railroad, Amtrack, and Septa in “0” gauge semi-scale, “0” gauge scale and HO scale.
The model train layout also includes:
- A 60-piece operating amusement park and operating drive-in movie theater.
- A large scale railroad yard complete with Roundhouse, Turntable, and Engine Maintenance complex
- A ski area featuring 20 operating ski rides and skating ponds
- Over 1,000 structures. Scratch built and commercial, featuring Bernard Steinmacher buildings – hand made, individually hand crafted, fine detail.